Build Your Web Site
Use these tools and resources to design and build your web site or make your existing one better.
Start with a Template
If you don't have the time, patience, or expertise, let someone else do the heavy lifting.
- Open Source Web Design Templates
- The OSD Network: Open Source Templates
- Open Web Design's Templates
- Dynamic Drive's CSS Layout Templates
- Free CSS Templates
- Free Templates Online
- Free Website Templates
Design the Layout
A good layout is standards-based, and uses CSS for the layout.
Choose a Color Scheme
Don't just randomly select colors--select an appropriate color scheme for your audience and message.
- Color Scheme Generator
- Color Scheme Generator (with vision checking)>
- Color Schemer Gallery
- Color Scheme Chooser>
- Color Tool
- ColorCombo's Color Combinations Tool and Color Palette Library
- Color Palette Generator (based on image upload)
Add Some Navigation
Whether you want tabs, drop-down menus or something else, it's all here.
These resources offer royalty-free content. Of course, the best bet is to add your own content.
Add Images, Clip-Art, Video, etc.
These resources offer royalty-free images, clip-art, etc. with no registration or sign-up required.
- Wikipedia Public Domain Images
- Wikimedia Commons Pictures, Sounds, and Videos
- Google Advanced Image Search
- PicFindr (Searches most stock photo sites)
- Public Domain Photos
- Open Clip-Art Library
- Cool Text Graphics Generator
- Dynamic Drive's Gradient Image Maker
Make it Accessible
When you're building it, make sure everybody can come to the party.
- Accessible Table Builder
- Accessible Form Builder
- Accessible Form Element Generator
- Accessible Pop-up Window Generator
Provide immediate feedback, and desktop-like functionality. Engage your audience.
All the reference material and tutorials you need for everything listed above.
General Reference & Tutorials
- W3C Document Object Model (DOM)
- Regular Expressions Cheatsheet
- Regular Expressions Reference Card
- W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)
- Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act (29 U.S.C. 794d)
- Section 508: Web-Based Intranet and Internet Information and Applications (1194.22)